Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Update

Yeah, I know...it's been forever. Things have really been busy around here. The kids are home for Spring Break this week, which has been wonderful. You would think that it would make things crazier, but I really enjoy having them home. When the kids are home, our house is happier. No, really...stop laughing! I mean it...I'm not shuffling kids to and fro every activity under the sun. Not to mention no trips into town twice a day for school. It has been lovely. I'm even getting more accomplished than when their in school. To tell you the truth, it's a little depressing when they're gone all day, I can't wait for summer!

My husband is in his second week of radiation treatments. He is receiving high dose radiation 5 days a week for 4 weeks. The radiation clinic is in Bartow, which is about a 1 hour drive....everyday. He's a trooper though, he hasn't complained a bit. But he is sick. Oh, is he ever sick. We were really thankful when we found out they were going with radiation instead of chemo because we had heard several people who had radiation say that they tolerated it just fine. Well, for whatever reason, he is sick within an hour of treatments every day. It drains the energy right out him, and he winds up sleeping most of the afternoon. This should all be over, Lord willing, the last week of April.

Everything else has been pretty good, too. Aside from a few ER visits and sick kids (nothing out of the norm) we're good. I've been looking at homeschool curriculum. I think I'm pretty set on what I'm going with. There are a few choices that I still have to make. I'm seriously thinking of using Switched on Schoolhouse for Language Arts, just for ease of planning and to give me some time with Ty. They are having a 20% off sale this month at AOP, so I need to decide quickly. I will be using Mystery of History and Apologia Science for everyone to work through together. For math, I'm going with Horizons for my 3rd grader, and I haven't decided for my 5th & 6th graders. I gave them the Saxon placement test and they both were recommended to start in Saxon 8/7. I'd hate to buy two textbooks, but I doubt they'll share! For reading, everyone will read their choice of books from the 1000 Good Book List. Then there's my little guy. He's turning 5 this August, and I know he's ready to start some formal work. I'm definitely going to use Horizons for math, and probably 100 EZ Lessons and the kindergarten workbooks from Rod & Staff...that'll be it for him, not too much pressure there!

I'm starting a new sewing project soon. I haven't sewn in forever, so something simple is perfect. Over at momys.com we're doing an apron swap. You send in a handmade apron, and the coordinator of the swap will send you someone else's handmade apron. That should be fun....I'll post pics of the pattern and material later.

Well, that's about it for an update. I really hope to post more soon. Thank you all for your prayers for our family. The Lord is good, and He continues to be our refuge!

No comments: