Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Cat's away, but the Mice can still eat right!

In a previous post I mentioned that I was making some freezer meals to help hubby with the daunting task of supper. I hadn't made freezer meals in a long time, so I consulted the experts, i.e. anyone who has as many or more kids than I do!! The experts gave me a few suggestions and I took notes. I weeded out the ones that I knew my family would never go for, or those that hubby would have to force feed a certain daughter of mine, hey Erin, because they contained too many vegetables. Here's what I came up with:

Beef
2 Baked Ziti
2 Lasagna
2 Tator Tot Casserole
2 Sloppy Joe

Chicken
2 Enchiladas
2 Salsa, Chicken & Rice Casserole
1 Chicken Hotdish w/stuffing topping
1 Chicken Alfredo

I cooked the beef meals first. I began by browning 8lbs of hamburger meat. I divided two 1lb sections and placed them in a ziplock freezer bag and added the sloppy joe sauce. I always add a little extra ketchup & brown sugar the way my family likes it. Then I boiled the ziti and lasagna noodles. While they were boiling I made the tator tot casserole and placed them in a 9x13 aluminum pans and cover them with a double layer of foil. Once the noodles were finished, I assembled the ziti first, then the lasagnas. Again, I covered the dishes with a double layer of foil. Before I put them in the freezer, I label them with the contents and cooking directions. Most everything can go straight from the freezer to the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until bubbly.

On a separate day, I prepared the chicken meals. I began by boiling 2 bags of frozen, skinless, chicken breasts. While they are boiling, I add a little garlic salt to the water to season. In addition to the chicken, I cooked 4 packages of yellow rice, and one box of rotini noodles. After the chicken was cooked, I chopped it up into a little smaller than bit size pieces. First, I assembled the chicken alfredo. Just mix noodles, chicken, and alfredo sauce and top with with parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Then, I put together the chicken hotdish. Basically it's a chicken pot pie filling with veggies, cream of chicken soup, and sour cream topped with a box of stuffing mix. Next, I worked on the chicken and rice. I put enough chicken into two 9x13 pans to cover the bottom. Then I top that with rice and cover with 1/2 jar of salsa and shredded cheese. Last, I made the chicken enchiladas. I put the remaining chicken in the with the remaining rice and added a packet of taco seasoning and some shredded cheese. Then, I scooped some of the mixture into a taco size tortilla shell. After rolling the shell, I placed them seam down into 9x13 dish. I was able to fit 5 across for a total of 10 per pan. Then I topped it with salsa and cheese.

It wasn't as much work as I thought, and it's comforting knowing they'll have something to eat while I'm gone. Now, if I come home to 14 meals still in the freezer and they ate pizza everyday....at least I tried!! Here's a picture of the fruits of my labor! :)
2

1 comment:

Rev. K.T. said...

I'd like to make some freezer meals for my family sometime this year! Why don't we plan to take a day once a month to prepare freezer meals together? We can alternate each other's houses/kitchens and the girls can entertain each other. My girls would probably even like to help some. I figure, if you're already preparing food for 6, why not add servings for 3-4 more?! What do you think?