Friday, August 29, 2008

Serving my Husband


I had a unique opportunity to show love to my husband by serving him this week. He had a supervisor at work that was being promoted and moved to a different shift. My husband really liked this guy, they got along great. So, all the fellas on the shift decided to give a "promotion, going to a new shift" lunch. The day before said lunch, my husband asks me to make a broccoli braid for them. My broccoli braid is just about my husband's favorite meal that I fix for him. It's an old Pampered Chef recipe that I've tweaked over the years. We don't have it often, because it contains ingredients that we don't usually have on hand and it's a bit more than our budget allows for everyday dinner.


***Insert honesty***

At first I was a little peeved at the last minute request, knowing this meant a trip into town, spending money we really didn't have, lots of chopping veggies, and did a mention the trip into town. I'm a home body at heart, what can I say. :) Then I remembered our little challenge...you know, loving our husbands! Remember, love meant also meant preeminent kindness. Ouch!! I couldn't really ask you all to love your men if I wasn't doing this with a right attitude. Luckily my face wasn't visible to him when he asked, he has no idea of the inner turmoil!


So, off I went to the store. The new Wal-Mart! Yep, that's right folks, I went to the brand spankin' new Wally World at night, by myself. It was nice. Very quiet, clean, and peaceful. Okay, the trip into town wasn't bad after all. ;) When I got home, the kids were already tucked into bed and the house was pleasantly peaceful as well...not so bad, I tell ya', not so bad.


The next day, I get the kids off to school and begin my chopping. I had Ty at the table coloring, and again...it wasn't so bad. I decided to make two braids and go ahead and knock dinner out of the way, too. Around 11:30, in walks a very hungry man ready for his broccoli braid...I know, it doesn't sound like a very manly meal...but man, oh man, it's good! Fresh out of the oven, off went my labor to his "manly" luncheon. He was happy, I was happy I was able to help (and take care dinner), and all the guys on the shift had happy, full bellies. (With my girly broccoli braid!)


Now, if I had continued my initial reaction, this would have turned out completely different. I really need to work hard on being kind. It doesn't come naturally, I'm not really a sympathetic person. The Lord has a big job with me, I'm tellin' you. I won't even get into the wet socks on my computer room floor right now, not gonna go there!!!

No comments: