Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Only Way is Jesus.

Photobucket

Today we had a very powerful sermon from a visiting pastor. The sermon was based on John 14:6 where Jesus answered the questions of a very confused Thomas. Thomas just couldn't grasp what Jesus was talking about when he said he was going to "prepare a room for you." Thomas wondered how they were going to get there, how would they know where to go. Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me," John 14:6. Jesus confirmed for all mankind that there is no other way to God but by Him, and Him alone. No good work will get you there, no good deed will secure your way. Only Jesus, He alone can save you.

This brings me to my next thought. Cheap grace. "But grace is free," you say. Yes, grace is free, we have made it cheap. There is nothing I could ever do to earn the free gift of grace that God offers through his son, Jesus Christ. But why do we as Christians stop there. Satan believes in Jesus. He shudders at the very name of Christ. Yet, we all know Satan is not saved. So how do you know you're saved? The Bible says that many will cry out "Lord, Lord" but few will be saved. How can we know we are staying the narrow course, walking the narrow path. John 15:10 says, "If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love."

I remember back in highschool taking Geometry with Mrs. Chancey. I like Mrs. Chancey! She was originally from Wauchula and had this very comforting way about her. But like I said, she taught geometry. I can almost hear the groans as you read this. You remember geometry...proofs and theorems. Is it all coming back to you? No! How about "if, then" statements. Remember those? If something is true then the opposite of said something must also be true. Let's apply a little geometry to scripture. If obeying God's commands = remaining in His love, then NOT obeying God's commands = NOT remaining in His love. Wow, how are your toes feeling? Mine are a little sore right now, that's for sure. So the Bible says if I'm obeying the commands of Christ, I'm in His love, I'm on the narrow path, my eye is fixed on the prize. If I'm not obeying, then I'm not "in His love."

Now, before you cast your "works" stones at me, really grasp what I'm saying. Salvation comes from God's free gift, I accept it, I believe on the name of Jesus, I obey His commands, I remain in Him. My good works won't get me to heaven, but they are a product of my love for Jesus. Jesus is the only way to heaven. There is an old hymn that I love to sing called "Trust and Obey". It goes like this...


When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain:Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
But is blessed if we trust and obey.

But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way;
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.

Never fear, only trust and obey!!

No comments: